PUBLISHED Apr 11, 2014; UPDATED Oct 19, 2022
- La Orquesta Corear (founded ????) <<www.facebook.com/orquestacorear>> (Buenos Aires)
- L’Orchestre de Jeux Vidéo (founded 2008) <<orchestre-ojv.ca>>
- Games&Symphonies (founded ????) <<gamessymphonies.com>>
- Baltimore Gamer Symphony Orchestra (founded 2013) <<baltimoregso.org>> <<www.facebook.com/BaltimoreGamerSymphonyOrchestra>>
- CSUN Gamer Symphony Orchestra (founded 2013) <<www.facebook.com/CSUNGSO>>
- Des Moines Gamer Symphony Orchestra (founded 2019) <<https://www.dsmgso.org/>>
- Game and Anime Music Ensemble at BGSU (founded 2007) <<blogs.bgsu.edu/gameandanimemusicensemble>> <<www.facebook.com/bgsugame>>
- Gamer Symphony Orchestra at University of Maryland (founded 2005) <<umd.gamersymphony.org>>
- MIT Video Game Orchestra <<linktr.ee/mitvgo>>
- SuperSonic Video Game Ensemble at Northwestern University (founded 2012?) <<http://www.northbynorthwestern.com/story/singin-in-the-game/>>
- Symphonic Anime Orchestra of Denver (founded 2005) <<animeorchestra.org>> <<www.facebook.com/pages/Symphonic-Anime-Orchestra/78910986053>>
- Washington Metropolitan Gamer Symphony Orchestra (founded 2012) <<wmgso.org>> <<www.facebook.com/MetroGSO>>
- Video Game Orchestra of Boston (founded 2008) <<www.vgo-online.com>>
- Video Game Orchestra & Choir at UCLA (founded 2013) <<www.facebook.com/vgocucla>>
- Irish Video Game Orchestra (IVGO) (founded ????) <<https://ivgorchestra.com/>>
- London Video Game Orchestra (founded in 2019) <<https://www.lvgo.co.uk/>>
- Manchester Video Game Orchestra (founded ????) <<www.mvgo.co.uk>>
- National Video Game Orchestra of Wales (founded 2018) <<https://soundcloud.com/nvgow>>
- Synthetic Orchestra <<www.syntheticorchestra.com>> UK based composer/arranger, Blake Robinson, creates fully orchestraed recordings with his sample library.
Video Game Music Concert Series
- Capcom Live! (founded 2016) <<www.capcomlive.com>>
- Final Symphony (founded 2013) <<www.finalsymphony.com>>
- Final Symphony II (founded 2015) <<www.gameconcerts.com/en/concerts/final-symphony-ii>>
- Game On! (founded in 2020) <<gameonconcert.com>>
- Playphonia (founded ????) <<www.todalamusica.es/playphonia-la-musica-los-videojuegos>>
- Symphonic Game Music Concerts (founded 2003) <<www.gameconcerts.com>>
- Symphonic Shades (premiered 2008) <<https://higherplainmusic.com/2008/11/27/chris-hulsbeck-symphonic-shades-concert-gets-release/>>
- Video Games Live (founded 2002) <<www.videogameslive.com>>
- Symphonic Fantasies (founded 2009) <<www.symphonicfantasies.com>>
Video Game Music Conferences
- North American Conference on Video Game Music (Jan. 18-19, 2014) <<http://web.ysu.edu/gen/fpa/North_American_Conference_on_Video_Game_Music_m231.html>>
Books and Resources on Video Game Music
- Game Music 101 (????) Game music research group at Queen’s University in Ontario, Canada
- Ludomusicology (founded 2011) Videogame Music Research Group
- LudoNarraCon (founded) Digital festival celebrating narrative games
- Music Theory Examples in Video Game Music (????) created and curated by Brent Ferguson, PhD
- Resources for Video Game Music Composers: The Big List 2020 (2020) curated by Winifred Phillips.
- 8-bit Music Theory (2016?) Youtuber who discusses music in video games
Select Bibliography of Texts and Resources
Azadehfar, Mohammad Reza and Afsaneh Yadaei. (2021, April). Composition through Choreography Computer Gaming: Case of Azerbaijani Traditional Dance [Conference Paper]. Ludo2021 Tenth European Conference on Video Game Music and Sound. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351091034_Composition_through_Choreography_Computer_Gaming_Case_of_Azerbaijani_Traditional_Dance.
Brice, Mattie. (2011, November 17). Speaking in Accents and the American Ethnocentrism in Video Games. Game Developer. https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/speaking-in-accents-and-the-american-ethnocentrism-in-video-games.
Cork, Jeff. (2020, September 17). Behind The Scenes Of Kena: Bridge Of Spirit’s Harmonious Collaboration. Gameinformer. https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/09/17/behind-the-scenes-of-kena-bridge-of-spirits-harmonious-collaboration.
Fuentes, Edgar S. (2018, July 11). Orígenes de la orquesta en videojuegos. Vandal Game Music. https://vandal.elespanol.com/vandalgamemusic/origenes-de-la-orquesta-en-videojuegos.
Haider, Arwa. (2019, September 27). Why Video Game Concerts are a Growing Phenomenon. Financial Times. https://www.ft.com/content/d623ab4e-dde3-11e9-b8e0-026e07cbe5b4.
Moorman, Peter. (2013). Music and Game: Perspectives on a Popular Alliance. Springer VS. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-531-18913-0.
Munroe, Jim. (2018, February 28). Videogame Arts Around the World in 2017. Game Arts International. https://gameartsinternational.network/videogame-arts-around-the-world-in-2017/.
rrosierajin but splatoween flavored [@_sukebang]. (2022, August 22). Here’s a thread explaining some of Frye’s South Asian vocal and design inspirations ! i will also be talking about the big forehead thing, so stay tuned! 1/? [Twitter Thread]. Twitter. https://twitter.com/_sukebang/status/1561525142559277056.
Shamaly, Meena. (2020, November 12). Stories of First Nations in Video Game Music [Radio Broadcast]. ABC Classic. https://www.abc.net.au/classic/programs/game-show/game-show-first-nations/12839742.
Silpayamanant, Jon. (2011, November 15). The Greatest Video Game Music. Mae Mai. https://silpayamanant.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/the-greatest-video-game-music/.
Silpayamanant, Jon. (2013, May 1). The Cello in Video Game Music. Mae Mai. https://silpayamanant.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/the-cello-in-video-game-music/.
Silpayamanant, Jon. (2013, May 23). Kronos Wartet, Sci-Fi Music, and Defiance. Mae Mai. https://silpayamanant.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/kronos-wartet-sci-fi-music-and-defiance/.
Silpayamanant, Jon. (2021, February 25). DAW, Music Production, and Colonialism, a Bibliography. Mae Mai. https://silpayamanant.wordpress.com/bibliography/daw-colonialism/.
Silpayamanant, Jon [@Silpayamanant]. (2021, March 20). While we’re at it, can we talk about the white male Anglo/Eurocentric music of video games? [Twitter Thread]. Twitter. https://twitter.com/Silpayamanant/status/1373449527773036546.
Silpayamanant, Jon [@Silpayamanant]. (2022, March 15). Never thought I’d hear a Ranad-Ek or Piphat orchestra in a video game, but I guess it shouldn’t be surprising that it’s in a Thai video game. Trailer music composed by Nattanisha Opasayanont. She went to Mahidol U. Game music composer is Karan Thamawong [Tweet]. Twitter. https://twitter.com/Silpayamanant/status/1503926623854284802.
Silpayamanant, Jon [@Silpayamanant]. (2022, March 17). Of course at the end of Home Sweet Home E1 we have the Thai dancer and Piphat, but also this room with khon (โขน) masks, a chakhe (จะเข้), (ตะโพน), 2 ranad ek (ระนาดเอก) and several saw u (ซออู้) and saw duang (ซอด้วง) [Tweet]. Twitter. https://twitter.com/Silpayamanant/status/1504498195950448648.
Silpayamanant, Jon [@Silpayamanant]. (2022, October 20). It’s been ages since I’ve done any significant updates to the Video Game Orchestras page. Just added a few dozen items (including groups, resources, and bibliographic items) but realizing that I’ll probably need to do a significant overhaul of it soon [Tweet]. Twitter. https://silpayamanant.wordpress.com/new-music-ensembles-in-the-us/video-game-orchestras/.
Yadaei, Asfaneh [Afsaneh Yadaei]. (2021, April 22). Music Composition through Choreography Computer Gaming: Case of Azerbaijani Traditional Dance [Video]. Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P49dVOxBmbk.
Yadaei, Afsaneh and Mohammad Reza Azadehfar and Behnam Alizadehashrafi. (2022, July). Creation of Melodic and Rhythmic Patterns Based on Cultural Heritage: Sonification of Azerbaijani Dance Movements. Journal of Sound and Music in Games, 3(2-3): 1-27. DOI: 10.1525/jsmg.2022.3.2-3.1.