A Klingon Christmas Carol
Friday night was officially the longest night and to celebrate my band, the il Troubadore Klingon Music Project (otherwise known as bomwI’pu’ on the planet Qo’noS), opened for Commedia Beauregard‘s Chicago production of a Klingon Christmas Carol (thlIngan ram nI’ tay bom). Klingons obviously do not celebrate Christmas, but they do have a “Festival of the Longest Night,” ram nI’ tay.
Last year, I was approached by the artistic director, Christopher Kidder, of Commedia Beauregard to compose the score for the Klingon Christmas Carol as he had heard about il Troubadore.
The 2011 production ran from Black Friday until New Year’s Eve at the Greenhouse Theatre Center in Chicago. This year, my score is again a part of the production and the show is running at the Raven Theatre. We appeared on opening and closing night last year and have already appeared on opening night and the aforementioned Deccember 21 show. We will also be at the closing night of the show which is December 30.
It’s a delightful show even if you aren’t a Trekkie/Trekker. Obviously if you are a Trek fan then the enjoyment will be increased exponentially since there are a number of in-jokes and references to the Star Trek franchise. This year (as every year) there are some short pre-show videos featuring Martok (J. G. Hertzler) and Gowron (Robert O’Reily) which were filmed at Starbase Indy where they were featured guests. It’s been a wild and wacky ride and there are still a handful of shows this year–if you have a chance, then go see it. If you go on December 30, you’ll get a chance to see me in full Klingon regalia performing with my Klingon Band and with our Klingon Bellydancer, Deserae!
- Commedia Beauregard website and ticket info: http://www.cbtheatre.org
- Raven Theatre: http://www.raventheatre.com
- il Troubadore Klingon Music Project homepage: http://www.troubadore.com/QoQ
- Excerpts from Jon Silpayamanant’s score for the Klingon Christmas Carol: https://soundcloud.com/jon-silpyamanant/sets/klingon-music
RECENT REVIEWS & WRITE-UPS:
- DNAinfo Chicago review with some comments by Mark Okrand, the creator of the Klingon Langauge for Paramount: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20121222/edgewater/klingon-christmas-carol-is-intergalactic-take-on-dickens-classic
- ITV News (UK) piece: http://www.itv.com/news/2012-12-21/what-the-dickens-a-klingon-christmas-carol/
- Reuters slideshow of the images used in their international news clips (including Yahoo News): http://in.reuters.com/news/pictures/slideshow?articleId=INRTR3BTYX#a=1